Monday 19 March 2012

Travails of a Lagos 'ride hitcher'

This morning i remembered some experiences i had in the days i didnt have a car and had to hitch rides... People dey take person eye see sha.

one lady used to give me a  ride and park at her office while i walk to mine which was just a stonethrow away. I didnt mind at all.

However on this day we got to Falomo bridge or so and suddenly there was rainfall!!!! it was really sudden and in a matter of minutes people were wading through water up to their knees...

we arrived VI and the lady parked at her usual spot. I didnt want to be forward but i wondered how i will get to my office in the downpour na only one umbrella dey and of course she's the priority! she said if she took me to my office less than 2mins away someone else would take her parking spot. so i said maybe i should stay in the car till the rain stops and then lock up and she says 'her keys nko?'

my people i had no choice na so i enter the rain that day oh!!!!!!

I got into my office absolutely drenched..... twas a day i certainly wont forget.

My benefactor no 2 was a neighbour whose girlfriend lived with him. she moved in after myself and another female neighbour started to hitch rides. They were Ibo and we were not. In the days 'before her' conversations were centralised and at least one could breathe in the car. when she started to go with us, you'd say hello and she wont respond. sometimes she would pretend to be fiddling with something like shes distracted and cant respond. then she would speak to the guy in Ibo so of course it was apparent she wasnt interested in us joining the conversation. LOL i found it amusing, the most silly part is at the point of disembarking she would make a real big show of kissing him.... this kain 'pissing on her territory' LMAO people sha


Benefactor 3 was a family friend cum neighbour's nephew. He was nice too and had at the start of his career hitched rides in my brother's car. Some other lady whom i assumed was a friend of his. She was civil to me at first and i stayed out of her way because i preferred my peace and quiet at that time of the day. I think they started shagging somewhere along the line.(his girlfriend was abroad)....
He would say i should move to the back seat so she could drive and he would be in the passenger seat. Wetin concern me? Na make i sha reach office in one piece. One day however as we wanted to pick her up, me i don open door to change seats sef and he said oh no need, make i siddon. The girl eye change...

The guy now stretched his hand to pick something from the back seat and the gal began to shout- leave me, leave my bag LOl ah ah we were both shocked. The guy come say wetin, say na pillow him wan take. So she said oh sorry i thought you wanted to take my bag, the guy come say ehen and so what if i wanted the bag? Kai me don nearly burst from laughing....

Eventually the real owner of the guy arrived from abroad and was kuku as badly behaved as the 'abelejayan'. You go greet am she no go answer etc...

After a while me sef buy motor and that ended my travails..... i think these were my most memorable stories of the lot..



21 comments:

Sugabelly said...

I don't know how to drive so I have to rely on taxis or friends who have cars.

Jemima said...

Lol @ belejayan...person eye dey see no be small

Fluffycutething said...

Sugabelly- you're lucky you have 'nice' friends LOL

Jemima- No mind the yeye girl her own sef nearly pass the 'real' owner's wahala!!!

Luciano said...

lwkm.......that "leave my bag" part is embarrassing. SMH

Toinlicious said...

lmao @ "Pissing on her territory" & "leave my bag" #awkward

You just inspired a blog post.

doll (retired blogger) said...

LAMO!

Blessing said...

Wow! Pele..lol

Myne said...

Your stories are funny. Back then, I really preferred public transport to hitching.

JustDoyin said...

Oh no! I was embarassed for the lady at that "leave my bag" part...lol.

And the lady that made u go in the rain cos of a parking spot? oh waoh!

Enkay said...

I was just laughing at that last bit of the story ..."leave me, leave my bag" ...shuo!
Abi owner of car suddenly turned into "bag-snatching-dracula" ni? lol!

But leaving you in the rain? That neighbour no try at all!

Olufunke said...

LWKMD!Persin eye dey see o!

I so much enjoyed reading this.
I can relate to some, although I must mention that I had some very nice 'benefactors' too.

I had the 'jealous' wife, the 'you know I like that's why I carry you', etc

LOL@ abelejayan!

Anonymous said...

The guys are always nice,most of the time,its the other female "passengers" that like creating unnecessary drama.

Mojisola said...

Second read and still laughing. Us women and our wahala sha.

Afronuts said...

LOL!@ 3rd benefactor...Na wah oh...Na dis kain thing make me vex one time decide say even if I can't buy car, I must buy bicycle to waka better pass make I dey use leg!

lol...Thank God you have a car of your own now! Shame to devil!!

Afronuts said...

LMAO!@Abelejayan ...I be yoruba but Ive been trying to find out the meaning of that word...wetin e mean? Jo so fun mi!

Che said...

LOL @ the girl making a big show of kissing her man. Mschewwwwwww. As if that would stop you if you were interested in him.
How embarassing for the girl shouting "Leave me leave my bag". LMAO. What was she thinking.

Priscy said...

there's nothing like the comfort of one's own car. those were real travails oo!
loving your blog.
http://apysworld.blogspot.com

Fluffycutething said...

Afronuts- Abelejayan literally means 'helping the fish owner to roast it' further translated into showing much concern over something that isnt yours or your business LOL

In this case no be she get the man oh the owner don go abroad :D

Fluffycutething said...

Dont mind the yeye abelejayan she dey vex as her 'lover' no gree make she siddon for front.... Mcheeewwww

Daughter of Her King said...

loool....

Anonymous said...

#laughing#...your eyes don see shaa!

haba! i never hitched when i worked then, i jeje go struggle for cms bus inside molue or danfo. kai! gone are the days shaa!..ahahahhaa.

being learning how to dive for donkey years, but still wary to master it...lagos driving sends the chills down my spine ooo..esp when i see all those death traps and trailers for road...but hubby don mean me this time...i MUST drive by fire by force! Lord help me! #sighs# ....still laughing though.

Today

 Happy new year! So many cobwebs here